The Vintage Project: Forte I – Stands
See other project posts here –
I now have the new Crites titanium diaphragms installed in the tweeter units. And, I’ve rewired all drivers with the Duelund 16ga tinned copper wire. Old crossovers are out. Waiting on the Crites XO’s – hoping to see them later this week.
In the meantime I worked on cleaning up the stands. These things look like they stood in water for a time. Veneer snapped off in places, mounting brackets falling out, and in general the expected wear for 35 year old speaker stands.
I sanded the veneer that remained, and stained it gray. I added to that one coat of clear varnish. I didn’t get too deep, because I plan to rebuild new stands down the road. They aren’t pretty, but that’s ok. We’ll get them sounding great, and then come back to the boxes.