The Vintage Project: Klipsch Forte – Crossover Updates
I had a lot of fun restoring the 30+ year old Klipsch Forte I speakers I grabbed on Ebay.
In the second week of running the Forte they started to open up. The new crossovers were settling in, so I decided to install a pair of Jupiter 1.5uF caps I’ve had on the shelf. There are a pair of 1.5uF caps in each crossover, in line with the HF output.
I replaced each one of the Sonicap 1.5uF caps in position after the inductor with my Jupiters and ran the speakers for several days. I’ll replace the other 1.5uF cap eventually. I also replaced all the input/output wiring with the Duelund 16GA tinned copper wire. I had great results with the wire in other applications. Things started to open up as the electronics settled in.
I decided to replace the 1.0uF caps in the midrange next. I chose the new Duelund JAM caps for this purpose. These are the latest, more budget friendly line from the high end component maker.
I’ve run the crossovers in this configuration for about 50 hours, and things are getting very interesting. The critical midrange has opened up and I’ve had some hair raising moments listening. I am very happy with the sound quality, this far.
I don’t have my usual amps, so it’s currently difficult to provide accurate impressions. This week, I’ll have another project – a new-ish build of a Dynaco ST70 – in house and will post impressions on my system in the coming weeks. In addition, there’s a new amp build in process. I’m jazzed about this one, so later this Summer I’ll have updates on that too.
Next I’ll replace the resistors and the 47uF caps in the LF path.
But, this will be down the road a bit.
Thanks for listening.